September has passed and brought us a surprising number of updates from Google. Read on to get the latest and greatest news from the SEO world.
Google September 2022 Core Update
Google rolled out the second broad core update of the year, the September 2022 core update. It's a global update aimed at improving how Google ranks websites. It was announced only three days after the Helpful Content Update that finished rolling out on 9th September. At the moment, the core update seems to be less impactful than the previous one.
Have you been affected by recent Google Updates? As always, we recommend you follow Google's advice on core updates to see some improvements. In short, you should focus on the following questions:
- Does the content provide original information, reporting, research, or analysis?
- Does the headline and/or page title provide a descriptive, helpful summary of the content?
- Is this the page you’d want to bookmark, share with a friend, or recommend?
- Does the content present information in a way that makes you want to trust it?
- Is this content written by an expert or enthusiast who clearly knows the topic well?
- Is the content free from spelling or stylistic issues? And was the content produced well?
- Does the content provide substantial value when compared to other pages in search results?
- Do you follow the search quality rater guidelines?
Try Marketing Miner now:
Product Review September update
Last month, Google also rolled out the fifth in a series of updates targeting low-quality reviews. It only applies to English language product reviews. The update mainly focuses on rewarding high-quality reviews where people demonstrate their expert knowledge and first-hand research about the products.
Has your site been impacted? Focus on the following best practices to produce high-quality product reviews:
- evaluate the product from a user's perspective
- attach additional evidence such as images, videos, or other links to support your expertise
- show how the product differs from its competitors
- talk about different products users can consider
- discuss the benefits and drawbacks of the product
- don't forget to include links to other valuable resources
- identify key decision-making factors for the product's category
- include why you consider that product the best
New in Search Console
- The new HTTPS report in Search Console helps webmasters identify pages that are indexed as unsecured and notifies why the HTTPS version could not be indexed.
- Merchant Listings report. Google also expanded eligibility for enhanced product experiences in Search Console. Thanks to the new report, you can quickly identify structured data issues for free listing experiences in search results.
- Product Snippets report identifies structured data issues for product snippets in search results. It replaces the previous Product structured data report.
Search On 22
This year's Search On 22 event announced a number of new tools and features across Google search, Google news, and Google shopping to make them more natural and intuitive. Here are the main takeaways:
Visual search and multisearch
Google is expanding multisearch to more than 70 languages in the coming months. With the multisearch near me feature, users will be able to take a picture of any item and find it at a local place nearby. This feature will roll out in the US this fall.
New ways to find information
Google will also roll out an even faster way to find exactly what we are looking for. When users start typing in a question, they will be able to find relevant content straight away, before even finishing their search. Users will also see richer information in the autocomplete results as they type. Google will provide keyword or topic options to help users craft their questions.
The search giant will start showing for some searches more visually designed search results to let people explore more information on specific topics.
Soon, we will be able to see more personalized shopping results based on our previous searches. Thanks to Google's advancements in machine learning, we will be able to view different products with 3D visuals. And there are many other advanced shopping features and tools that are coming to Google to help us find what we're looking for.
Image source: Google.com
About this result
Google expanded the About this result feature to help people understand and control how search results are tailored to their queries. They will also display personalization information to show if the search results are personalized in any way.
At Search On, Google also shared 4 new updates to Google Maps. For example, people can now get a vibe check before they visit a new neighborhood by exploring popular spots, what's new, and what the local gems are. They also introduced an entirely new way to explore the world by using multi-dimensional views of an area and important information such as the weather or busyness.
Our Top 5 SEO reads
A content brief is a document that guides copywriters or agencies when creating a piece of content. It's critical to manage your content strategically. In this post, you will find 19 free and paid content brief templates to work faster and more efficiently.
Transitioning to Google Analytics 4 doesn't have to be a complete mystery. Dana DiTomaso summarized the top 4 things you need to bring you some details on the exciting new world of GA4.
The importance of using great SEO Chrome extensions can’t be overstated, as they help marketers work faster and smarter. This list will help you navigate the crowded world of Chrome extensions and find a great fit for your needs.
Conducting a content gap analysis o level up your content strategy doesn't have to be complicated when you use the right tool. We found this practical review to know how Marketing Miner can help creating and optimizing content for your website.
Do you love using Marketing Miner? Share your tutorial content with us for your chance to be featured in our next newsletter.
Don't miss out on this amazing full day conference in London filled with brilliant speakers covering a range of important topics. You can also get a recording ticket to attend the conference virtually on-demand.
Marketing Miner Insights
If you're new to SEO, you might wonder what keywords are and why they are so important. This post covers all you need to know about keywords and how they can help increase your search visibility. You will also learn about the different ways to add keywords to your website and how to find the search terms that your target audience uses.
What is on-page SEO and what on-page factors do you need to consider if you want to increase your site's organic visibility? This comprehensive guide will help you get the most out of your website.
What is off-page SEO and why does it matter? While on-page SEO focuses on optimizing elements you control, off-page SEO includes activities taken outside of your website. This practical post covers all important off-page factors and tactics you can use to boost your rankings.