Uncover the latest SEO news and updates with our August roundup. Google announced a major update… and so did we! Learn more about the most important news to keep you ahead in the SEO world.
Helpful Content Update
In August, Google rolled out a significant update, called the Helpful Content Update, as a part of its broader effort to serve original and helpful content to users. The search giant now automatically identifies websites with a relatively high amount of unsatisfying or unhelpful content to limit their appearance in organic search.
The update rolled out for English searches globally, and it was introduced as a new site-wide ranking signal that can alter the rankings of your other content too.
Did the Helpful Content Update impact your site? We recommend the following:
- Remove or update unhelpful content that could harm the rankings of your other web pages
- Develop your user personas and diversify your content
- Do your keyword research to know what your audience is searching for and answer their questions
- Produce factually correct and original content to satisfy readers and attract new target audiences at the same time
- Demonstrate your first-hand expertise and depth of knowledge
- Always reread your content. Does it flow naturally?
- Use internal linking
- Follow Google's best practices
International Targeting report deprecated in Search Console
The International Targeting report has been deprecated from Search Console. However, Google will continue to support and use their recommendations for hreflang tags on multilingual and multiregional websites.
MM TIP: You can use our Hreflang Checker to verify whether all your tags have been implemented correctly.
New Core Web Vitals report in Google Search Console
The Core Web Vitals report started reporting on the CWV scores of specific URLs. You can now also aggregate Core Web Vitals scores for different URL groups. This will save you tons of time when only going through URLs with specific issues.
Image source: Google Search Console
Other Google product updates
- Google is testing new labels in search results to highlight whether the content of a page can be read in five minutes or less.
- Google now uses a consensus-based technique to improve featured snippets. They leverage the AI-system called MUM to determine the consensus on a given topic and display this information in featured snippets. It also limits appearing facts in featured snippets that don't actually exist to prevent fake news.
- You can now access “About this result” of any website in search results in the Google app. It is now expanded to different languages as well.
- Google now shows content advisories in situations when a topic is rapidly evolving to help fight against misinformation.
Image source: Search Engine Roundtable
- You can now also use these awesome new formulas in Google Sheets to save tons of time and automate your work process when working with spreadsheets. [Twitter thread]
Our Top 5 SEO reads
Local SEO guide
We put together this Ultimate local SEO guide to help you get started with your local SEO strategy. To make your work easier, we also included a checklist with all important on-page and off-page optimization tasks, NAP citations tracking sheet, and useful tips for optimizing your Google Business Profile.
How to create perfect images for SEO with Dall-E 2
AI technology use in marketing departments is on the rise. We found this interesting read by Vincent Terrasi on how to generate quality images with the power of AI technology.
Survey shows how people decide what to trust online
Misinformation isn’t a new phenomenon, but it’s now becoming more difficult to separate fact from fiction, especially on the internet. Google's survey revealed that 62% of users think they see false or misleading information on at least a weekly basis. And people are aware that it’s a serious issue.
Is TikTok Going to Replace Google?
TikTok has absolutely taken the world by storm since 2020. In fact, nearly 40% of Gen Z now prefers searching on TikTok and Instagram over Google. As an SEO, you should no longer ignore the platform. We found this interesting read by Lidia Infante to understand why users search on TikTok and why you should integrate TikTok into your website strategy.
The case FOR AI Content
The recent Helpful Content Update has stirred the discussion about whether humans or AI should create content. Kevin Indig talks about different types of search content and what problems Google has with AI content.
Marketing Miner Insights
Getting Started with Marketing Miner webinar
Are you new to using our tool and unsure how to start? Our recent webinar will give you all the information you need to assist you along the way! You will learn how to monitor your competitors and rankings, analyze data in bulk or quickly collect data for your keyword research, and more.
New Reports interface for Bulk Data Analysis
Marketing Miner’s Reports section has a new look! Analyzing data in bulk has never been easier thanks to our latest update. Check out the new user interface and let us know what you think so we can continually improve our features. Your feedback is important to us!
Analyze data in bulk here: https://www.marketingminer.com/en/wizard
What is search intent in SEO?
When it comes to SEO, understanding search intent is vital. It can help you optimize your content to better match what your target audience is looking for, making it more likely that they'll find and engage with your site. Learn more about search intent to start creating more relevant content for your business.
At the moment, YouTube has over 2 billion monthly users, and more than 500 hours of video are being uploaded here every minute. But how to make sure your video does not get lost in the vast sea of videos? If you want to know about YouTube SEO, then this blog is for you.
What is HTTPS & why is it important for SEO
In the early days of the internet, a website's security wasn’t a top priority. As a result, many people became vulnerable to cyber attacks. To combat these attacks, HTTPS was created. What exactly is HTTPS and what should you do if you don’t have it enabled on your website yet? This guide will tackle everything you need to know about HTTPS.