Stay ahead of the curve with the May 2023 edition of Marketing Miner's newsletter, as we bring you the most important updates to fuel your SEO strategy. This time, we covered the most recent Google updates, explored generative AI, and highlighted some interesting SEO reads that will keep you at the cutting edge of this constantly changing field.
Here's everything you need to know:
New Keyword Research AI-powered tool
We introduce Keyword Monkey, a new AI-powered keyword research service with white-label reports to help you with your keyword classification, competitor and SERP analysis.
With comprehensive insights at your fingertips, you can easily refine your keyword research by assessing relevance scores and accessing key metrics such as search volume, CPC, keyword difficulty, opportunity and search intent. We go the extra mile by also analyzing SERP data and competitor insights, so you can make data-driven decisions that increase your client's visibility.
Check out our sample keyword research reports here: https://keywordmonkey.io/
Generative AI and the latest Google Search updates
Google is moving slowly and carefully to make AI happen. Last month, it announced its next steps in a new era of Search that leverages generative AI and many other updates.
- Generative AI: Google's AI in Search is now much smarter and able to answer more detailed questions. This will empower consumers to make informed purchases and improve their online shopping experience. The AI will provide comprehensive product information, including the latest reviews, ratings, prices, and product images. As a result, consistent customer reviews and engaging content will become even more important to help you cut through the noise.
- Perspectives feature: This new feature highlights long-form videos, images, and posts from discussion boards, Q&A sites, and social media in search results. It's an AI-powered shortcut to help understand topics faster. Plus, users can ask follow-up questions without leaving Google. So we better get ready for more zero-click searches…
- Helpful Content System: Google is updating its Helpful Content System to understand content from personal or expert viewpoints better. To avoid negative impact, you should remove all unhelpful content and focus on creating valuable, reliable, and people-first content.
- Bard Updates: Bard will support 40 languages by the end of the year. It's also becoming more visual, including images in its responses for a better search experience. Google ads remain an integral part of the web ecosystem, helping people find relevant products and services.
Image source: Google
The new generative AI capabilities in Search will help users do some of the work of searching to understand a topic faster,quickly uncover new insights, and find their answers more easily. If the user wants to explore the topic further, they'll see an option to "ask a follow-up question" or select a suggested next step that takes them directly into conversational mode. Search results in AI snapshots appear to work with the same logic as Featured Snippets as Google takes passages of text from different websites to create the AI answer.
Read this guide to learn more about how the new Google Search Generative experience works and what are its limitations.
Google Bard adds genuine citations in responses and more concise summaries
Google has also released an update to provide better summarizing information and more genuine citations for its answers. When it answers your questions, it also now shows where it found the information. And it has learned to keep things short and to the point, so you can get what you need faster. Basically, Google is working to make sure users get reliable answers quickly and easily.
This upgrade shows Google's ongoing efforts to make your search experience better.
Google will replace FID with INP as Core Web Vitals metric
INP is no longer an experimental metric. The Google Chrome team has announced an upcoming change to the Core Web Vitals metrics to better evaluate the quality of a web page's user experience. In March 2024, Interaction to Next Paint (INP) will replace FID as part of the Core Web Vitals.
Google Search Console will add INP to the Core Web Vitals report later this year so you can start seeing your scores. But remember, don't let these metrics weigh you down. Even Google reminds us that they're just one part of the puzzle when it comes to improving your website's page experience.
Image source: Google
More Google updates
- Google rolling out related topics filter on desktop search results - After five months of testing the related topics filter feature on mobile, it has now been introduced to desktop too.
- Google Site names now support subdomains on mobile devices - Google now supports the site names feature on subdomains on mobile. However, it's important to note that this feature is still not available on the subdirectory level.
- Google no longer recommends canonical tags for syndicated content - Instead, Google says block your syndicated content from being indexed to avoid duplication.
Try Marketing Miner in action:
Our Top 5 SEO reads
Google's advanced search operators are special commands that filter search results. Some of them are more useful than others, especially when it comes to SEO. In this comprehensive guide, you will learn how the Google InURL search operator works and how it can help with your SEO efforts.
Have you heard of the hreflang x-default value? It can be a powerful tool and it holds more potential than you might realize. This article reveals all the necessary information about the hreflang x-default value and its significance in international SEO.
Planning for a successful website content migration? There are several critical questions that your migration plan should address. If you are not sure what to monitor, check out this ultimate checklist by Olga Zarr that should guide you through the entire process, from pre-migration planning to post-migration monitoring.
Corey Morris shares her thoughts on what's in store for SEOs as the industry enters a new era, and why we shouldn't get too fixated on AI or search engines.
This step-by-step guide is designed for all SEO specialists and provides simple, step-by-step instructions on how to create the organic search traffic report analysis in GA4. By using this valuable information, you can gain insight into how users discover your website through organic search results to improve your SEO strategy.
Marketing Miner updates
- Plagiarism Checker - Plagiarism is anything but pleasant. No one likes to find their own content on another website without credit. Our updated tool now offers improved accuracy and faster detection of content theft, providing you with the URL and duplicate test results.
- Improved report processing - we have also improved report processing speed to ensure that even large reports are generated quickly, giving you access to complex results even faster!
- More backlinks to track - Great news! Marketing Miner now allows you to monitor 500 backlinks per project to avoid time-consuming manual checking of backlinks' existence.